Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Faith Heple and Elementary Ed

Photo courtesy of
Multnomah University
Name: Faith Heple
Major/Minor: Elementary Education
Year: Sophomore

Q: Why did you choose this major/minor?
A: “I actually didn’t want to be a teacher.  I wanted to go into the Psych program.  But when I went on Multnomah’s website the slideshow for the different majors/minors wouldn’t move past Elementary Ed!  And then nothing but the link for Elementary Education would work.  I fought with God about this, but in my heart I knew He wanted me to be a teacher.  After applying and going into my first education class I knew I wanted to be a teacher more than anything.  I could (and still can) feel that this career is the one I’m supposed to be in, the one there I will make the most difference, and the one in which God will show Himself to others through me.”
Q: What misconceptions do people in other majors have about yours?
A: “[They think] that its easier because we focus on elementary levels.  But it isn’t any easier.  It’s amazing how much you forget over the years.  Plus, now that you’ve done the hard stuff, your brain doesn’t even think 2+2=4 without some crazy formula!”
Q: How do you hope to use your degree?
A: “I’d like to use my degree to become an International Teacher.  I’d also like to use my degree to change the way children do school; there are so many different ways of learning and teaching… We’ve only begun to scrape the surface.”
Q: How have you been impacted by being in this program?
A: “I’ve been impacted by how much God works within the schooling system: even in public schools where religion and God are practically banned, you can still work God into the lives of your students.”


Do you want to be featured talking about your major or minor?  Click here and submit the form!

No comments:

Post a Comment